A short while ago, I mentioned that I was working on both the second floor bedroom and the bathroom of # 43.
It was a bit of a challenge trying to decide just what I wanted from this space other than 2 functional rooms. For one thing, I had to decide where I wanted the walls to be and how much useable floor space would I get for each room. The window is dead center of the second floor and made things tight for either space but I decided that the bedroom should be the most generous because of the size of the bed and that helped with placing the wall. But then I needed an additional wall for the hallway. That again made the spaces more defined but also visibly tighter. There always seems to be a sacrifice of Something one way or the other so the hallway leading down to the super tight kitchen was made more narrow by the addition of the partition.
|This is a closer look at the pattern of the bedroom linoleum floor.|
It is big and busy and picks up the colors that I have already used in the soft furnishings on the bed and the drapes for the window and it looks vintage.
|In keeping with the theme of using the dark wood trims that are so prevalent in the kitchen, I am doing a test drive to see what they will look like later.|
|I needed to mark where the lights would be and drill the holes that the wires would go through. I also needed to pace the pin that acts as a nail for the mirror.|
|I tested the fireplace in position, Yet Again, this time with the hearth under it!|
|This is now how I can hide the wires. This is all still freestanding and waiting for the wires to be connected before being permanently installed.|
What a lot of Work!
|You can see that both things take up a lot of room on the wall. The door is absolutely necessary of course, but it has to be visibly less massive than the fireplace panel. That is yet to be worked out, so stay tuned.|
|Meanwhile I made a coal fire for the fireplace and tested it and it works! I made a fender by the same method as the fireplace; using bits and pieces of scrap metals gluing them together, painting and aging the entire unit.|
|This shows the light wires threaded through the foam board|
|They will be attached and then soldered for good to the tape wire once the window is relocated.|
|This is the bathroom so far. The back lower portion at the far end will be tiled. That is where the tub will sit.|
|My very big baroque mirror with the foxed glass|
| and as you see, these rooms are literally|
Coming Apart at the Seams!