I followed Sole's instructions very closely and although I'm satisfied with my results hers look Really Real!
here's what I did
I used wide masking tape and laid it sticky side up.
|I laid thin pieces of wire on top of it to form the stems.|
|I laid a second piece of masking tape over the top and outlined the stems with a ball tool to seal the 2 layers.|
|Then I drew on the leaf shapes with a pencil and cut them out with scissors.|
|Below is how the ivy looks installed. |
I'm happy with the finished planter and would give Sole's tutorial 2 thumbs WAY UP!
* however-make sure to make more than you think you'll need*
|and thus ends Ivy tutorial #1|
|I mixed two greens onto the birch spacers, and mixed them in with a paint brush, dragging it over the spacers so that they were evenly covered.|
|I made several batches of ivy leaves in different shades of green; not wishing to run out of them too soon.|
I re-touched the leaves with more paint as required and adjusted the stems to form a shape and draped it to my specifications.
Ivy tutorial #3
is a variation of the same as above
( in case you don't happen to have any dead roots waiting around in your stash-)
I'm using loops of thin wire which are tied off about 1/4 inch from the end
|cut through the loops and splay outward so you can paint them.|
|When painted brown, leave them to dry.|
I propped mine up with a clothes peg
|I shoved a little air dry clay ( Play-doh) into the pot and then added the painted stems, shaping them as needed.|
|This photo reminds me of the legs of an emerging spider- ugg!|
| I used 527 glue because it stays fluid long enough for you to dip the ends of the ivy leaves into it |
then stick them to the frame.
|When I'd applied enough of the leaves, I re-adjusted the stems and then touched-up the stems with more brown stain, and the leaves with more green acrylic paint mixed with a green glaze.|
|And placed the vases on the mantle in Villa Leone's Morning Room.|