The ornamental iron panels are cut sections from a sandalwood fan.
I wanted something with visual weight to counterbalance with the weight of the balcony. I also wanted it to cast a golden glow when it was turned on.
but you can blame it on my sister!
|For added weathering, I also used a lead pencil on the surface of the door.|
|to remove it|
| I took it off because in all of my research on Venice, I didn't see anything in any of the buildings, to support it. So once I made up my mind that it had to be done I didn't hesitate.|
The patio came off so cleanly that I was astonished! The small wall however, did leave a big gash in the front facade, which I patched up later with cement.
|This is the entire patio unit.|
And wouldn't you know...
|the length fit perfectly along the side of the house- Yahooooo! :D|
|leaving just enough room to add a front retaining wall later on.|
|With the patio relocated, it was time to focus my attention on the space above the second floor french doors.|
( notice how I'm still circumnavigating the balcony?)
|I cut 2 of the motifs down to fit inside the empty arch above the second floor doors.|
|TOO BAD! IT WOULD HAVE BEEN SO NICE|
but perhaps I could still make it work- somehow.
|Now, to tell you the truth, I kinda liked this look and I would have probably used it, but I just didn't want to have to go though that wrestling match again!|
|At one point I was also considering shutters for the french doors. I had One shutter, which was not even the right size. Even so, I tacked it onto the door to see if it was worth considering.|
| I took it off|
|Still going around in circles|
|What luck! I found a photo in a magazine of the winged lion of Venice, which I plan on transferring onto fabric and adding fringe. My intention is to suspend it as a flag on the flag pole.|
|Or I could I drape it over the balcony?|
Before I forget, these are the door knobs for the second floor French doors. The painted metal findings work really well with the metal grill inserts.
Having realized one balcony; leaves me the second one yet to do.
|Here we are again, back to the patio side entrance with the Juliet balcony still waiting in the wings.|
|I made all of these plants, except for the big one.|
|The white clothes peg is a wedge to level out the door panel, since I had to re-cut that opening,... AGAIN!|
|Detail of the patched and crumbling wall and foundation.|
|And I finally decided on an exterior lamp to hang by the front door. I made it myself based on the one I made for my room box "GOTHICA"Best in show |
| and it does!|
I still have to settle on 2 matching exterior lamps for either side of the second floor balcony. I'm considering a pair of black carriage lamps, however I wanted something entirely different beside the front door.
| The front stoop is an old sanding sponge rubbed nearly naked. |
For now it works fine until I get to that project.