|I use to have a pretty little bed that looked like this!|
| I needed another pretty little bed for the bedroom of #43 and so I decided to see if the size of the bed I already had would work,|
and it did.
|but the style of the bed was not the look that I was after, at all|
|I was looking for something more solid and Victorian but the shape of the head and footboard was the right height and shape for the sloping ceiling and the length of the bed was perfect too.|
|Reluctantly, I stripped the bed down to see what I could do with it.|
|Right shape, wrong material|
and WAY too country!
|Yet, where there is the will there is a way! |
... you just have to find it
|metal cutters to the rescue!|
|First, take out the metal filigree insert since I did not like it or need it|
|I did both ends|
|I tried out the mattress and had a look. I think it needs something don't you?|
|I was going to use wood but didn't think that I could do a good enough job with it|
| I decided to use card just because it was easier and I have lots of it . |
I drew the pattern onto paper using the bed frame as a stencil
|I cut the pattern out with a pair of scissors and then transfered the pattern onto some heavy card|
|I checked the fit of the card and then glued it into the centre of the bed frame with|
Quick Grip glue.
|Oh dear, is that a gap I see?|
|Yes, it is! |
( dog gone it! )
|But Never fear...... Car putty is Here!|
|Why do a little when you can do a whole lot!?|
so I did the back of both the head board and the footboard.
This sets up very quickly and is as dense as wood. It has fumes, so I had the window wide open and the fan on. I let it dry overnight.
|While the backs are drying I tried to work out the embellishments|
Where's my ball chain?
|Ahhh yes, Here it is !|
| Maybe this?|
|I am Still Experimenting|
| and Still checking!|
I like this combination of metal bits on the bed
So I glued it all in place.
|I decided on the paint color and began to paint it all out .|
|When the putty was dry, I then I sanded and and cleaned it off and painted it. Then I waxed the ends with brown and then black shoe polish.|
|The finished frame|
not new looking but more like it has been around for a while
|A closer look at the headboard|
| I Made a pillow case from an vintage cotton handkerchief|
and also a cotton sheet for the mattress
|I made a pillow with ticking fabric and filled it with bird gravel to give it weight|
| I also Needed a bedcover, so I used a man's undershirt that came from the thrift store.|
( I think it looks like chenille )
|For warmth, a nice fluffy bed quilt of tea stained toile, to curl up under.|
Some needlepoint throw cushions from my dear friend Pamela Grant
|This is it finished|
Now I have a pretty little bed for the house on
Green Dolphin Street.