I am currently hard at work on the Bedroom of 'the Arthur' dollhouse and if you are thinking "What about the Kitchen?", well I am working on that IN MY MIND, right now. I am seriously avoiding having to work on that staircase in the kitchen which has to be done first, before anything else in that room is started. For Whatever Reason, work on the stairs is scaring the pants off me! I decided to refocus on something Not so intimidating; a distraction until I can work up the nerve to do the stairs. So I decided to work on not only the second floor bedroom, but also the bathroom too. I have been pleasantly surprised that they are both now, very 'Close to Completion', and will be ready to show very soon. As a little teaser, I am going to show only part of the bedroom because it is the one with the new Victorian Fireplace that I made. After searching the net for a number of different images, I decided to use a composite of a couple, and made up my own design as I went along. The picture below is the main source of my INSPIRATION. I needed something very narrow and quite tall for the space. So starting from the photo below, here is what I did......
|This is one of the mini hole punches that you can get at the dollar store and other craft outlets|
|I am going to use the blister packaging|
|I sketched a line of where I wanted to cut and used a pair of scissors to cut on the line|
|This is the shape that I wanted and it fit inside the body of the fireplace|
|I also am using some old zip ties that had a good amount of length and some texture on one side of it|
|I was at my favorite thrift store and they were selling these mismatched paris of earrings which I bought after a little negotiation, for a better deal. I wanted them for the inside of the fireplace.|
|This is what it ended up as|
It is very busy looking, isn't it?
You can just see the rounded hood in profile
|I did a test fit in the bedroom|
Then, acting on Sans advise, I spray painted this piece with a flat white enamel and left to dry. It received 2 more coats of flat white and this is what it looked like when it was all dry.
|What a difference!|
|Next was to paint the interior of the firebox with a black acrylic paint called "Wrought Iron"|
|Following that, I painted the outside of the fireplace in "Sky Blue"|
|The "Sky Blue" was toned down with a wash of a thin transparent black and a thin transparent brown to age it and make the look more old painted metal.|
|I LOVE THIS STUFF!|
|I painted it with the Black acrylic paint after it was dry|
I think that this looks just like a stone slab!
|Then I used a tiny bit of the Sky Blue to soften the black and tie the hearth in with the fireplace|
|The finished hearth|
|The finished fireplace!|
I had to see if I still liked it in the bedroom.....
|YES I DO!|
|I hope You do, too!|